Why Use Language Learning Software?
Are you guys trying to learn a second language like French or Spanish? Then there is various software that can help you in the language learning process.
Learning a new language is never an easy task, but the software eases the learning process for you. Moreover, the software allows you to study and learn the language at your own pace.
In the past, people think that Classrooms and textbooks are the best way to learn anything. Still, with the evolution of technology, especially internet people, understand the value of learning online.
Now more and more people prefer to learn new things online instead of following the traditional method. So in this article, we will discuss the Best Language Learning Software of 2020.
The applications we discussed in this article are designed in a way so the users can quickly learn and increase their knowledge of foreign languages.
iTalki is an online language tuition software. It allows you to take one on one lesson from teachers all over the World.
The company begins as a language exchange community where users can interact with native speakers and improve their skills. But later on, they convert themself into a marketplace where users can contact tutors and book the one-on-one lessons with them.
If you already have some language skills, but you want to improve those skills, iTalki is one of your’s best choices.
- iTalki personalized and structured learning allows users to schedule the lessons at their convenience.
- It is a cloud-based web app so users can use it anywhere, anytime on any device.
- You can choose the teacher that is in your pocket friendly.
- By learning the new language, you can also give your native language the tuition to others who need it. So you can earn some money while learning.
- One of the significant advantages is that it is quite affordable. You can select a tutor who is in your budget.
- You have full flexibility of date and time when you want to study.
- With iTalki, you have full control over what you want to study and how you want to learn.
- A wide range of tutors is available from all over the World.
- Get free access to the community of language learners.
- The quality varies from teacher to teacher. Not all teachers provide the same quality of teaching. So take your time to find the best teacher for yourself.
- Sometimes the teacher booked very fastly so you might need to book them in advance.
- The iTalki credit system is one of the most annoying things for most of their users.
The price varies from teacher to teacher. iTalki is a market place where the teacher chooses their pricing. Moreover, the minimum fee is $4, and the maximum price is $80. But usually, most of the teachers have set their prices between $10 and $20.
However, you need to pay an extra 4% charge when you add money to your iTalki wallet.
It is one of the flexible language learning apps for language learners of all levels. When you sign up on Busuu, you can select which language you want to learn.
Moreover, after signup, a test will come in front of you that test will help Busuu to determine how much understanding you have about that particular language and from which level you should begin your learning process.
You can also set a daily study goal on it. Also, if you go with their premium plan, then Busuu will automatically create a study plan for you to accomplish your goals on time.
- Busuu offers you the opportunity to learn anytime, anywhere, with 24/7 access to the learning lessons. Moreover, you can also download lectures offline.
- You will also get a vocabulary trainer, so you will never forget the word you have learned.
- With Busuu, you get an opportunity to practice with native speakers.
- You can quickly learn to build sentences with their advanced grammar units.
- Busuu will provide you with the official certificates when you complete the course and pass the test.
- Busuu has a team of experts who carefully create and maintain high-quality courses.
- Busuu allows its users to connect with native speakers from all over the World.
- It gives you language learning that works.
- The course plan is very structured. So if you like freedom in the learning process, then you might not like their plan.
- The free plan doesn’t support the mobile app.
A free trial is available for everyone. In the free trial, users can choose one language and have access to language flashcards for practice. However, they can only access the full resources after upgrading their plan.
- Premium: € 9.99 per month
- Premium Plus: € 10.99 per month
- Premium: € 5.83 per month
- Premium Plus: € 6.66 per month
- Premium: € 5.41 per month
- Premium Plus: € 6.25 per month
It is a subscription-based language learning platform that allows you to practice comprehension and listening skills by watching videos.
You have the option to turn on close captioning in English as well as in native languages like French or Spanish. Moreover, at the end of every video, there is an interactive exercise for you. So you can test what you have learned and understand from the video.
Yabla is one of the most suitable for intermediate and advance learners. However, a beginner might feel some difficulty using this app, especially if they don’t know letters or characters and how to pronounce them.
- Yabla has Integrated Dual-Language Dictionaries. So by one click on any word, you can see the definition of that word.
- You can smoothly go back, repeat, or skip the subtitles. So you will always remain in control.
- Yabla uses the game method to take a test due to which the test becomes more enjoyable and exciting.
- Their video content is created by native speakers. So you did not need to worry about the quality of the content.
- Their application is available on all platforms, i.e., windows, android, and IOS.
- Great software for sharpening language-listening skills.
- A wide variety of speakers and accents are available.
- With Yabla, you can know about new words and expressions.
- All video runs at a conversational place due to which it is easy for users to understand the content of videos.
- It lacks structure.
- Only a few language options include Chinese, French, German, Italian, and Spanish.
A 15 days free trial is available for everyone, and after that, if users want, they can upgrade their plan.
- 1 Month: $12.95 per month
- 6 Months: $54.95 per month
- 12 Months: $99.95 per month
However, with these packages, you can only get access to one language.
This software comprises of couples audio lessons with interactive exercises and some readings material. The Rocket Languages’ primary focus is on taking the user to a conversation level as quickly as possible.
They use a step by step approach to teaching the language to the user. Their step by step approach is beneficial in minimizing the risk for users. So users will never feel they have been lost in the learning process.
Moreover, the app also focuses on developing basic language proficiencies like reading, writing, speaking, comprehension, and recall.
- Rocket Language’s main focus on letting users learn practical and real-world languages.
- It helps the users to improve their pronunciation.
- After every lesson, there is an exercise that helps you keep everything you have learned to stick to your mind.
- More than 120 hours of lessons are available at each level.
- A downloading feature is also available. If the internet is not working at any place, you can also study from the downloaded content without any problem.
- The pricing of Rocket Languages is quite affordable.
- Rocket Languages consist of various activities and learning tools.
- Courses available in more than ten languages.
- Lessons are not too short and not too much longer.
- The quality of the content is good.
- Games are not much engaging.
- The use of an onscreen keyboard for entering special characters doesn’t look right.
- The knowledge you get from the previous lesson doesn’t create much impact on the next classes.
Unlike other companies, the Rocket Languages does not use the subscription model. To access the Rocket Languages content, you need to pay a one-time fee, and you will get lifetime access to their content.
- $99.95: Level 1
- $249.90: Level 1-2
- $259.90: Level 1-3
A free trial is also available with the free trial user to access 3 to 4 lessons and their exercise. To unlock the full content, users need to upgrade their plans.
It is one of the best language learning software for visual learners. This app uses appealing visuals to teach different languages to users due to which learning becomes more enjoyable.
Moreover, the application fun, the colorful layout makes the learning process more enjoyable. The free version of the app only gives you five minutes of learning per day, and then you had to wait for 10 hours to practice another lesson. But you can buy the premium version if you don’t want to wait.
However, the app is only limited to massive vocabulary and matching-game focus. You cannot do anything else on it, but if you search for a relaxing way to learn a new language, then Drops can be a good option for you. Furthermore, currently, it supports more than 30 languages.
- It helps the users to learn new vocabulary through fun, fast-paced games by using simple images.
- DROPS total supports 36 languages.
- Travel topics and words are also available. So you can know how to shop and bargain at local shops.
- No need to give more time. The lessons are limited to a short time of 5 minutes.
- The application has a clean, colorful, and user-friendly interface.
- Useful vocabulary, good, and transparent audio files.
- You have the option to skip some levels.
- An option is available not to display Romanization.
- Great app for short term travelers.
- The free version can only be used 5 minutes per day.
- A lot of advertisements on a free account.
- The application provides minimal grammar instructions.
A free version of the app is available, but the user can only take a 5-minute lesson each day with the free version. If the user wants to use it more, then they need to buy the premium version.
- 1 Month: $9.99
- 1 Year: $69
- Lifetime: $160
Babbel is one of the best software for learning grammar. Grammar is not an interesting part of the language, but it is essential for the language.
This application consists of a combination of explanatory and interactive grammar content. The application aims to improve your confidence and comprehension with interactive courses available for everyone from beginner to advanced level.
All courses also include exercise for speaking, writing, reading, and listening. Every activity is 10 to 15 minutes, so the person can efficiently complete them without disturbing their busy schedule.
- You can choose more than ten languages to learn.
- The lesson covers a wide range of topics, from business to travel.
- The average length of the lesson is 10 to 15 minutes.
- Babbel uses the Speech recognition technology that helps the users to keep pronunciation on point.
- The learning process is automatically synchronized across all devices.
- Babbel provides useful and challenging content.
- The pricing of Babbel is pocket friendly.
- It provides helpful instructions for beginners.
- All lessons are of high quality and unique.
- Podcasts are also available for some languages.
- The total amount of content varies for all languages.
- The visual layout of the completed lessons is not much good.
- 1 Month: $12.95 per month
- 3 Months: $8.95 per month
- 6 Months: $7.45 per month
- 12 Months: $6.95 per month
Moreover, a free trial is also available, but users have access to minimal content with the free trial.
Duolingo is one of the best software for learning multiple languages. The app has a very colorful interface that encourages users to learn new things.
Furthermore, the application consists of plenty of self-paced exercises that allow users to build a base for various languages simultaneously.
Currently, Duolingo has courses in more than 30 languages. Moreover, its short game-like exercises are exciting.
- It adapts your learning style and then gives a personalized learning experience to you.
- Duolingo uses a reward system to motivate users. They give virtual coins to users when they unlock new levels and watch the lessons frequently.
- The application provides grading based on the test you give. So you can how good you are in the learning of that language.
- The company claims that 34 hours of Duolingo are equal to 1 university semester of language courses.
- All features are available for free, but you need to see some Ads.
- Great quality podcasts are available for French and Spanish languages.
- The courses have a clear structure.
- Supports various languages.
- The quality of the material varies from language to language.
All the features of the Duolingo are available for free but with the Ads. Furthermore, the premium plan is available that removes all the Ads.
- 1 Month: $12.99
- 6 Months: $79.99
- 1 Year: $47.99
It is one of the most famous software for language learning. If you are at a beginner level and want to develop a strong base of grammar and vocabulary, then Rosetta Stone is the best for you.
The application courses are well structured, clear, and moves with an understandable pace. With this application, you can know how to read, write, and understand specific languages’ basic phrases and words.
Moreover, you do not need to invest your significant amount of time in Rosetta Stone. You can even invest a few minutes of the day practicing the exercises. Currently, the software supports more than 20 languages.
- It teaches the language in an immersive natural way.
- The company uses advanced speech technology that listens, analyzes, and corrects your mistakes efficiently.
- Users can keep track of their performance with reporting and monitoring tools.
- All types of devices, like desktop, smartphone, and tablets, are supportable.
- The user experience is excellent.
- An option available for online tutoring sessions.
- Natural learning layout.
- The bonus content is also available, which is excellent.
- There is no placement test
- Some content is repetitive.
The company uses a subscription-based model.
- 3 Months: $35.97
- 1 Year: $170
- 2 Years: $249
- Lifetime: $299
MEMRise is a fun app for beginners to begin with the language learning process. The application offers free language learning software to work together to improve each other knowledge of a new language.
This software consists of various games, videos, and text messages to quickly understand the new language.
Currently, it supports more than 20 languages, and all its features are available for free.
- Learn new words
- Learn grammar
- Improve users listening skills.
- The application supports the classic review and speed review.
- An option is available to learn with locals.
- An option is available to download the content offline.
- Great content is available for beginners.
- A lot of customization options are available in the settings.
- All the content is available free.
- The quality of the content is good.
- The content added by the user might be incorrect.
Almost all the content of MEMRiSE is available for free, but a pro pack is available that provides some additional features to the users.
- 1 Month: $9
- 1 Year: $59
- Lifetime: $129.99
Pimsleur is one of the best software for learning on the go. It has a classic design, and with this software, you will get access to 30-minutes lessons that will help you learn at your own pace.
All lessons are audio focuses and encourage people to learn on the road without wasting their time. Moreover, with Pimsleur, you can learn more than 40 different languages.
The amount of material you get varies from language to language. Pimsleur app is available for all devices, mobile, desktop, and tablets.
- It has the feature of Digital Flash Cards, which helps you to practice vocabulary and dive deep into the written language.
- Seventy minutes of reading to learn the new language effortlessly.
- Pimsleur breakdown sentences so users can understand the sentence and pronunciation easily.
- It gives you 30 minutes of the audio lessons that you can take, even while traveling from one place to another.
- Pimsleur automatically synchronizes your downloading process on all devices.
- It allows you to download lessons and learn later on.
- Use of games to test user’s knowledge in a fun way.
- Active participation in listening
- Teaches reading
- Emphasis on pronunciation
- Develops conversation skills
- Lectures move rapidly, so as a beginner, you often need to reverse lectures.
- In some lectures, the audio format sounds artificial due to which lecture becomes boring.
Pimsleur offers a 7days free trial. Moreover, you can watch 1 lesson for free just by providing the email id. But for the free trial, you need to register on the Pimsleur.
- $14.95 per month: Basic Subscription:
- $19.95 per month: Premium Subscription
- $230: Level 1-2
- $335: Level 1-3
- $450: Level 1-4
- $550: Level 1-5
☆Best for Beginners★
All the software we discussed in this article is best for language learners of all levels. But if specifically focus on beginners, the best for beginners are
Beginners need to strengthen their language base, and the above three software can help them in doing this. MEMRiSE has excellent content for beginners that make the learning process very easy for them.
Moreover, Rosetta Stone and Babbel are the best for developing a strong grammar base in any language. All the above three applications are designed in a way to take the beginner to the advanced level.
Furthermore, not only beginners, even advanced learners can use these applications as the content on the app is fantastic for both advanced learners and beginners.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is language learning software expensive?
Most of the consumers are concerned with the price of the software. They want to know whether their price tag justifies the quality they provide.
So whether the language learning software is expensive or not, it depends on the features that software provides. Most of the language learning software has an average price of $10 per month. Moreover, the price tends to decrease when users go for higher packages.
Is language learning software better than classroom learning?
The answer to this question is quite tricky. In theory, yes, learning software is better than classroom learning, but it more depends on how disciplined you are.
If you can focus on online videos, then learning software is excellent for you, but if you understand better in a classroom setting, then that thing is better for you.
Moreover, in-classroom, many students are present, so a professor cannot give equal time to every student, whereas with online learning software, you do not face this type of problem.
There is a chance that you might not feel motivated to complete your course from the software. But in the classroom, there is an atmosphere that motivates you to study.
So both language learning software and classroom have their advantages and disadvantages. It all depends on what type of learner your and which will be the best thing for you.