Why Should You Focus on e-Commerce?
Start Selling in Minutes
Believe it or not, once you have shortlisted your preferred eCommerce platforms, you will be able to set up your eCommerce site in just a few minutes.
Almost every eCommerce platform comes with premade design templates and a host of other inbuilt features. There is very little that you have to do to create a high-quality functional eCommerce store.
Low Setup Cost
As you will go through the different e-Commerce platforms that we will discuss in this post, you will find that it is quite inexpensive to build an eCommerce site.
One of the most compelling reasons why you should focus on eCommerce is that there are significantly lower overhead costs in running an eCommerce store.
Unlike traditional stores that involve substantial upfront investments, an eCommerce store will only require a laptop and a stable internet connection.
Most Shoppers Search Products Online
Another reason you should focus on eCommerce is that most modern-day customers rely on their internet research before purchasing decisions.
If you have an eCommerce store, you will be better positioned to show up when your target audience is looking for you on the internet.
Get Customer Data Insights
Since most eCommerce platforms have excellent analytical tools, building your eCommerce store will allow you to get more insights into your target audience. It will further help you improve your website as well as the overall customer experience.
Ecwid is a successful eCommerce platform that allows you to add eCommerce-related functions to any website. Founded in 2009, Ecwid today has over 1 million active users.
It is a perfect solution for website owners looking to turn their existing site into a full-fledged eCommerce portal. Most small business owners would want to use it, primarily to engage with their customers and expand their online operations.
It also has a superb plugin that can be used to add eCommerce functionality to your website.
- Ecwid has an impressively loaded free plan that will give you access to some of the most critical features of the eCommerce platform.
- It is well known for introducing eCommerce functionalities to any existing website.
- When compared to other eCommerce platforms, it will blow you away with the number of features it offers at a comparatively lower price.
- If you are looking to implement point-of-sale functionality for your business, you can do that in many ways using Ecwid.
- There are times when businesses require multi-language versions of their eCommerce site. It provides that functionality as well.
- You can automatically apply the tax rates on Ecwid. You will not have to set up different tax rates manually.
- It comes with an eCommerce plugin that can work exceptionally well with major platforms like WordPress, Drupal, and Wix.
- There is an ‘Instant Sites’ feature that can be used by website owners looking to create their eCommerce store quickly.
- The number of applications and integrations is quite limited in the Ecwid store compared to other eCommerce platforms.
- There is no way to create an AMP version of your product pages on Ecwid, which can make it difficult for Google to optimize your site.
- You will have to subscribe to the paid plans to access SEO features.
Apart from the free Ecwid plan, this is an eCommerce platform that comes with three pricing structures:
- The Venture plan costs $15 per month, using which you can sell up to 100 products.
- The Business plan costs $35 per month, using which you can sell up to 2500 products.
- The Unlimited plan costs $99 per month, using which you can sell an unlimited number of products.
FastSpring was launched in 2005 and was developed to become a perfect eCommerce tool for business owners. It is a highly useful online tool that can be used to sell digital products, applications, and other SaaS products.
Equipped with the latest technologies, FastSpring is famous for its innovative solutions to strengthen its security and privacy. Let’s learn more about FastSpring.
- FastSpring is famous for providing eCommerce solutions to businesses selling digital products. It is a niche eCommerce platform that makes it easier for brands to make a purchasing decision.
- FastSpring allows businesses to accept International orders and payments. It makes it easier for the customers to purchase since the prices are shown in a currency based on the location. In other words, it provides location-based customer prices that also include local taxes.
- The best thing about FastSpring is that it can serve the purpose of an eCommerce store builder and your payment merchant. It will keep the records of payment and can vary much be your go-to payment processor.
- When it comes to usability, it can become a bit difficult for users to understand. It even has a steep learning curve.
- FastSpring cannot be used to sell physical goods because of its niche platform.
FastSpring is a quote-based eCommerce platform. In other words, you have to contact their sales team directly and share your requirements.
It provides customizable solutions for your business. The only downside is that you cannot compare their pricing with other eCommerce platforms.
MyCommerce is a cloud-based SaaS eCommerce solution that mainly focuses on installing reliable payment processors, allowing customers with subscriptions and recurring billing.
You will have considerable freedom in merchandising, and so will your customers. It has been designed in a way that can be used by anyone globally. Let’s find out more about it.
- It provides a stable shopping experience for users. There are hardly any interruptions in the buying process.
- You can enable payment type optimizations to help the user choose the best payment method.
- Want to grow your online reviews? Take the help of the coupon features.
- Generate quick reports to calculate sales and revenue.
- It is difficult to customize the cart style on MyCommerce, and the low number of default cart styles doesn’t help.
- There is no way you can enable a currency converter on MyCommerce.
Pricing on MyCommerce is quite different from other eCommerce platforms. The pricing pretty much depends on how your site is performing.
So, the Simple plan will cost you 7.9% per sale. The Blended program will cost you 4.9% of your profits.
Volusion is an eCommerce platform that has been designed to help business owners manage different aspects of their online store.
It has the essential eCommerce tools that will help you create high-quality online stores and make use of its smart automation features. It also enables online store owners to generate leads and optimize their website for Search Engine Optimisation.
There are many options regarding social media sharing and email marketing, which allow you to handle your online store from a single dashboard.
- It comes with a robust online store builder that is also easy to use for people who have just started with their online business.
- It provides your online store with an easy to use and intelligent search tool which makes it easier for customers to find what they need.
- Once you go for Volusion, you will no longer need a third-party service provider to manage your payments. It comes with a secure checkout processing that makes it easier for you to handle your orders.
- Volusion comes with some of the great eCommerce marketing tools and features to boost your social media presence.
- It comes with an impressive uptime that makes your online store accessible to your customers 24/7.
- Volusion lacks cross-selling and upselling features, which makes it difficult for you to scale your online store.
- You will not get a website hosting option in Volusion.
- Want to add an SSL certificate to your online store? You have to pay an extra $89.99 to get it.
Volusion comes with four pricing plans excluding the 14-day free trial.
- Volusion Personal plan – $29 per month.
- Professional plan – $79 per month.
- Business plan – $299 per month.
- You can also go for a customized plan which Volusion calls ‘Prime.’
- All pricing plans are subject to an upgrade if you exceed certain sales milestones in a 12 months period.
EKM is a fully hosted eCommerce platform that has been designed primarily for the UK market. Although it is not a popular eCommerce platform, it has many things going for it.
The very first time is that it comes with tons of eCommerce features.
That doesn’t mean users will have to worry about installing a complicated setup. The setup is quite simple, and you will be able to create your eCommerce site in a jiffy.
- EKM provides a dedicated account manager for your account to tackle all problems in your store.
- On signing up, you will get a completely free domain name, so bother not purchasing one from a third-party site.
- There are over 200 eCommerce store templates which we can use and start designing your eCommerce store. This is what makes creating an eCommerce store easier on EKM.
- One of the most talked-about drawbacks of using EKM is its revenue limit. Every single membership plan on EKM comes with a revenue limit that can sometimes get under your skin.
- Apart from the Standard fees that you will need to pay just like on any other eCommerce platform, you have to pay 20% VAT, mostly why people don’t go for EKM.
You can subscribe to four plans if you are looking to work on EKM to build your eCommerce store.
- Basic Plan – £32.49 plus VAT on a monthly basis. The best thing about this plan is that you don’t have to sign a contract. If you don’t find EKM useful, you can always quit.
- Standard Plan – £64.99 plus VAT every month.
- Advanced Plan – £194.99 plus VAT on a monthly basis. Again, this plan comes with no contract.
- Pro Plan – £549.99 plus VAT, on a monthly basis, and with a 6-month contract.
WooCommerce has a different way to function as it doesn’t rely entirely on its own platform. It works with WordPress, which helps all business website owners to turn their side into a fully functional eCommerce machine.
It is a very effective all-in-one eCommerce platform that has garnered over 80 million downloads and is popular among the eCommerce community.
- One of the best things about WooCommerce is that it is a free WordPress plugin. That means anyone can install it on their site and give it an eCommerce outlook.
- There are tons of customizable options that will allow you to make an eCommerce website that stands out from the crowd.
- It can be your go-to eCommerce platform if you are looking for comprehensive SEO tools as well.
- The cool thing about WordPress+WooCommerce combo is that there are many experts available that can fix your WordPress site if something goes wrong.
- You will enjoy lots of integrations and options if you need to market your eCommerce store.
- There is a standard learning curve attached to WooCommerce. This is because there is a lot of coding and development required to build your own eCommerce store.
- It doesn’t have a platform of its own. It relies on WordPress to create an eCommerce store.
- There is absolutely no customer support for your store.
The best part of using WooCommerce is that it is free of cost. There is absolutely no cost of installing the WooCommerce plugin to your WordPress account.
Pinnacle Cart is an excellent eCommerce solution for businesses that have just taken an online route. It is a very user-friendly eCommerce platform that will give you ample opportunities to customize your site.
You will be in awe of the enterprise-grade functionalities and the advanced payment management tools. Robust data security functions put a cherry on top.
- You will be offered a free migration service to migrate your existing eCommerce platform to Pinnacle Cart. The free migration service is provided for over 40 eCommerce platforms.
- Customer support is exemplary. All you need to do is leave a message for the support team, and they will call you back.
- You can design your eCommerce store for different languages and currencies to make the experience more personalized.
- Pinnacle Cart has recently redesigned its dashboard, and now it is easier to use and access store functions.
- One of the drawbacks of using Pinnacle Cart for your eCommerce store is that it doesn’t have a POS system like other eCommerce platforms.
- If you have an extensive eCommerce store, it is not advisable to migrate to the Pinnacle cart because it has limited storage and bandwidth.
- Start-Up plan – $29.95 paid on a monthly basis.
- Small Biz plan – $59.95 paid monthly.
- Entrepreneur plan – $94.95.
- Enterprise plan – $149.95. Again, the payment is due monthly.
Wix has been doubling down on online advertisements to show how easy it is to create a website on its platform. You must have heard about Wix before.
It allows people to create a high-quality website without even touching the development or coding part of it.
The word is that they also help build eCommerce stores. The best thing is that they have allowed editors to use their intuitive drag-and-drop functionality to build eCommerce websites. Let’s find out more about Wix.
- The best thing is that the drag and drop editor comes with an easy-to-use interface. You can create a mobile responsive eCommerce website with its features.
- There are almost 500 themes on Wix. All the good thing is that 72 of them are free of cost.
- There is a lot of help and support available for Wix websites.
- You will be able to create multilingual eCommerce sites.
- Don’t like working on it? There is a 14-day money-back guarantee as well.
- You will not get any stock management alerts, which might make it difficult to manage orders.
- There are no marketing features and necessary integrations that will boost your eCommerce website’s performance.
- Basic plan – $23 per month and gives you a storage space of 20GB.
- Business Unlimited plan – $27 per month with a storage space of 35GB.
- Business VIP plan – $49 per month, which gives you a storage space of 50GB and priority customer support.
- Enterprise plan – $500 per month. It has dedicated customer support, and the storage space can be customized.
Zyro is a recently found eCommerce platform that is quickly becoming a popular choice for people looking for a simplistic or a minimalistic eCommerce website.
The best thing about it is its easy-to-use drag-and-drop functionality. Also, you can add both physical and digital products on your eCommerce website with Zyro.
- The interface is quite easy to navigate, and one can quickly get used to it without spending much time.
- There is absolutely no transaction fee included when you are creating your eCommerce store on Zyro.
- Choose from a variety of payment gateways. The last time we went through their website, they were offering more than 70 payment gateways.
- Don’t worry about purchasing a domain from third-party sites since you get a free domain for 12 months.
- It’s pretty safe to use Zyro given it comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- You will feel quite restricted when it comes to customizing your eCommerce store on Zyro.
- The customer support experience is not up to the mark. Customer support is quite weak and is a drawback that must be worked on.
- There is no free trial for this new eCommerce platform.
- Basic plan – $1.99 per month.
- Unleashed plan – $3.49 per month.
- eCommerce plan -$14.99 per month.
- eCommerce + plan – $21.99 per month.
A robust all-in-one eCommerce platform, BigCommerce has everything you will need to build a near-perfect eCommerce store. It is one of the best places to start selling online.
The best thing about it is the set of native features it provides the customers. No other eCommerce platform comes even close. Let’s find out more about BigCommerce.
- You will get a variety of built-in features. No other eCommerce platform can compete with the number of features it provides on its platform.
- Want to create an eCommerce platform that you can scale in the future? BigCommerce is your answer.
- Take advantage of multi-channel marketing and selling on BigCommerce as it allows sellers to reach the audience on social media channels.
- It has some of the best SEO tools to improve your store’s online presence.
- Choose from the vast array of themes and pre-built designs.
- You will be charged more if you want to scale your store. The more you start selling, the more it will cost you to stay on BigCommerce.
- There are not many free themes to choose from. We recommend going with the paid ones to make sure your store stands out.
- The eCommerce platform uses many complicated terminologies that can make it difficult for the sellers to use it efficiently.
- Standard Plan at $29.95 per month.
- Plus Plan at $79.95 per month.
- Pro Plan at $249.95 per month
- Enterprise Plan can be subscribed only after connecting with the support team. They will provide you with a custom solution and pricing.
Shopify is definitely one of the most recommended eCommerce platforms thanks to its user-friendly interface. Garnering over 1 million stores and 2 million active users, it has sold over $155 billion worth of goods!
It has been able to simplify some of the most complex functions that have allowed even beginners to grow their online business. You should not miss out on the array of features Shopify brings on its platform.
- The user-friendly interface will strike you first as it is simple, clean, and pretty much straightforward.
- You will be delighted to use its inventory system to get more control over your store.
- You can use multi-channel selling features to sell products on social media channels. Even sell on eBay and Amazon using Shopify.
- It has an in-built payment processing system, so you don’t have to hunt for a third-party payment processor.
- You will get to choose from various themes that look aesthetically pleasing.
- It has managed to create a standard when it comes to customer support. You get 24/7 live chat, phone, and email support.
- Don’t know much about Shopify? Take its 14-day free trial!
- Features that are critical to the success of an eCommerce site are missing. We are talking about features like customer reviews, SEO, inventory count sheets, and more.
- You will have a hard time switching themes as the content will get misplaced.
- You will be tempted to add more and more apps and integrations, which will increase the cost of running your eCommerce store.
- Shopify Lite – $9 per month.
- Basic Shopify – $29 per month.
- Growing businesses can use Shopify at $79 per month.
- Advanced Shopify is a plan worth $299 per month and is perfect for businesses willing to scale up.
- Shopify Plus comes with custom pricing. You will have to connect with Shopify support and create a custom solution for your eCommerce store.
Have you just started with website building and don’t know the right direction? Squarespace can be your go-to website builder.
It is an excellent website building tool that will take care of most burdensome tasks and focus on things that mean the most to you. It is an excellent choice for newbies in the eCommerce world. Let’s find out why.
- It will provide your store with some of the most stunning designs you will ever see.
- The way Squarespace manages inventory is exemplary. It also comes with excellent analytical tools to keep your store’s performance in check.
- It takes good care of optimizing your store for mobile.
- You can add unlimited products to your store on Squarespace.
- Don’t worry about purchasing a domain elsewhere. Just buy it for free on Squarespace for 12 months.
- Take the 14-day free trial if you are not sure about the brand.
- Are you looking for an app store to add more functionalities to your eCommerce site? Well, you won’t find one.
- There’s no scope for marketing automation integration on any eCommerce site on Squarespace.
- Customer support is not at par with other eCommerce platforms.
- Personal Plan – $12 per month.
- Business Plan that – $18 per month.
- Basic Commerce – $26 per month.
- Advanced Commerce – $40 per month.
What is eCommerce?
Before we start reviewing different eCommerce platforms in this post, you must understand what eCommerce is in the first place. Any commercial transaction happening over the internet that involves the transfer of information comes under the category of eCommerce.
One of the reasons why eCommerce can go on to take different shapes is because modern-day users access the internet in different ways.
To make an eCommerce transaction, they may use a branded website, mobile application, social media platforms, and other channels.
A considerable part of the eCommerce industry is the consumers. No eCommerce platform can succeed if it doesn’t accede to the needs and wants of the consumers.
To make sure an eCommerce platform is designed for the consumers, it is essential to understand the general consumer behavior.
When it comes to eCommerce or any online purchasing, online users mainly follow this process –
Checking Product Details and Prices
Buying the Products
Here are a few pointers you would want to keep in mind when designing your eCommerce store with the website builders we will discuss in this post.
87% of the online users visit an eCommerce store only to gather information. These are the ones that browse for fun.
When compared to an actual physical store, consumers spend 19 minutes less on online stores. They still spend 23 minutes on eCommerce stores, which is enough for any marketer to influence their purchasing decisions.
Given the recent coronavirus crisis, almost 31% of US internet users are expected to shop online more once the pandemic is over. These are significant consumers aged 16 to 64.
It is no surprise that experts claim that the eCommerce sales will double by 2023 – crossing the $6 trillion mark!
How is eCommerce performing in India?
eCommerce has successfully transformed how people did business in India. Back in 2017, the eCommerce market in India was worth $38.5 billion. It is expected to grow to $200 billion in the next 6 years.
The primary driver behind this burgeoning growth is the extensive penetration of internet and mobile technologies across the nation.
The ongoing digital transformation led by the present government is set to take the overall internet user base to 829 million by the next year.
The Government of India has been working on digitizing the country by launching initiatives like digital India, make in India, startup India, skill India, innovation fund, and more.
The eCommerce industry had a significant impact on many MSMEs’ business models as it opened new avenues for them to scale their businesses further.
The sector has shown an upward growth trajectory backed by technological innovations and improvement in existing logistics services across the nation.
The growth is bound to boost employment and also make the market more competitive. Eventually, Indian customers are going to enjoy better products and services in the coming years.